Sunday, March 4, 2007

Wild Hogs (2007)

Starring Tim Allen, John Travolta, William H. Macy, Martin Lawrence, et al.
Rated PG-13, 100 minutes


Even though the film’s trailer didn’t hash it out completely, you should be able to guess the plot of “Wild Hogs” from a mile away. Four middle-aged guys want to reclaim their lost reckless abandon by going on a motorcycle trip to nowhere in particular. Along the way, they run into tests of their newfound youth and some hurdles that make an otherwise easygoing trip into a hassle with a climatic ending where the good guys win.

There are enjoyable parts within this played exterior. William H. Macy’s work was my favorite part of the movie. The way he played his character brought laughs from me where they were intended; a stark contrast to Martin Lawrence who was batting maybe .250 or so. John C. McGinley is in a couple of fun scenes as a highway patrol man. And I’ve recently caught myself laughing out loud at “Home Improvement” reruns, a show I panned as being too formulaic at age ten, so I was happy to see Tim Allen working again.

It was very evident sitting in a crowded theater on a Sunday afternoon among parents and their young kids, as well as many senior citizens, that this was not marketed for me (age 19). Clearly this was a simpler movie that wasn’t meant to be snappy and cool, but rather “something for everyone” and thus, it doesn’t reinvent the wheel. What you do get are some laughs here and there, but not enough to truly warrant a view unless you’re 40-ish or need a parent to get in. I enjoyed myself enough, but I wouldn’t go out of my way.

***¼

No comments: