Tuesday, September 9, 2003

Ratings Guide

MOVIE RATINGS (out of 5 stars)

Not my proudest writing here, but in an attempt to "define" my ratings a little, I've summarized thoughts common to (some of) my oft-given scores.

5.0 = This movie blew me away. I was entertained to the point I couldn't bother to pick out flaws (if any).

4.75 = As entertaining as a 5-star in all likelihood, but I couldn't pull the trigger for some reason. Usually it's something that makes me go "what?" or "why?" for a brief second.

4.5 to 4.0 =
A higher-quality version of the 3.75.

3.75 = A movie I actively enjoyed; 3.75 is the point at which I would make an effort to watch the movie on cable or buy it on DVD.

3.5 = I didn't regret using my time (and/or money) to watch this movie.

3.25 and 3.0 = I didn't really regret using my time here either, but I was unsettled from a quality standpoint - to what degree is reflected in the score.

2.75 =
There's redeeming quality in this movie, but proceed with a good deal of caution.

2.5 =
No real positive OR negative feelings. A movie that, in the end, was "just there."

2.25 = The point at which the movie is more negative than positive. At 2.25 specifically, it was close to being tolerable, but ultimately left me disappointed or angry.

2.0 to 0.25 = This scoring area is comparatively unexplored. In short, the lower the score in this range, the more I think you should avoid it.

0.0 =
To date, I've used this score to take my frustration out on movies that felt like a complete waste of my time. At some point, everything that was bugging me about it piled up, causing a proverbial bomb to go off, and no points to be scored.


GAME RATINGS

This scale was lifted with love from boardgamegeek.com, with the scores halved to fit my ratings system. If I can't decide between two statements, or I feel both ways about it, the game is rated at the score in-between.

I've since adapted this scale for television series. Just substitute the words to make each sentence appropriate for discussing TV shows. It's worked well so far.

5.0 - Outstanding. Always want to play and expect this will never change.

4.5 - Excellent game. Always want to play it.

4.0 - Very good game. I like to play. I'll probably suggest it and probably won't turn down a game.

3.5 - Good game, usually willing to play.

3.0 - Okay game, some fun or challenge at least, will play sporadically if in the right mood.

2.5 - Average game, slightly boring, take it or leave it.

2.0 - Not so good. It doesn't get me but could be talked into it on occasion.

1.5 - Likely won't play this again although could be convinced. Bad.

1.0 - Extremely annoying game, won't play this ever again.

0.5 - Defies description of a game. You won't catch me dead playing this. Clearly broken.

No comments: